MS Homestays respects your right to privacy and complies with our obligations in accordance with Canada data protection laws. The purpose of this website Privacy Statement is to outline how we deal with any personal data you provide to us or we collect while visiting the Website.
We understand that it is our responsibility to keep all personal data safe. Any information that is stored on paper will either be locked in a secure place, or will be in an area that is constantly manned by a member of MS Homestays staff. All information that is stored electronically will be securely password-protected, and/or securely encrypted, and only the relevant MS Homestays staff will have access to this information.
DATA COLLECTED – PERSONAL DATA
Personal Data is data that identifies you or can be used to identify or contact you and may include but not limited to your name, nationality, gender, address, email address, likes, dislikes, allergies, hobbies, telephone number, preferences such as preferred language(s), and a personal description. Such information is only collected from you if you voluntarily submit it to us. This information will form part of your profile, and will be shared only with your future roommates.
ASKING TO SEE YOUR DATA
We want you to be in control of how your personal data is used by us. You can do this in the following ways:
• You can ask us for a copy of the personal data we hold about you
• You can inform us of any changes to your personal data, or you can ask us to correct any of the personal data we hold about you;
• You can ask us to erase, block, or restrict the processing of the personal data we hold about you, or object to particular ways in which we are using your personal data.
PROCESSING AND PURPOSES
We will process any personal data provided to us by you for the following purposes:
• Reservations: We use your personal data to complete and administer your online reservation.
• Apartment Placement: We use your personal data to share it with the roommates you will be sharing the apartment with.
• Create your Student Profile: This profile will be created with the information that you provided in the questionnaire. The purpose of this profile is to give it to the persons you will live with.
• Marketing Activities: We also use your data for marketing activities, as permitted by law. Where we use your personal data for direct marketing purposes (e.g. commercial newsletters and marketing communications on new products and services or other offers we think may be of interest to you), we include an unsubscribe link that you can use if you do not want us to send messages in the future.
• Other Communications: There may be other times when we contact you by email, mail, phone, or texting, depending on the contact data you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
a) We may need to respond to and handle requests you’ve made.
b) If you haven’t finalized a reservation online, we may email you a reminder to continue with your reservation.
c) When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with us.
d) Analytics, Improvements, and Research: We use personal data to conduct research and analysis. We may involve a third party to do this on our behalf. We may share or disclose the results of such research (including to third-parties) in anonymous, aggregated form. We use your personal data for analytical purposes to improve our services, enhance the user experience, and improve the functionality and quality of our online services.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
You agree that we can share your personal information with:
• Our suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them to allow us to provide services to our students such as transportation services.
• Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our site.
We will not store your data for any longer than is necessary. For accounting and administrative purposes, MS Homestays will only keep the Invoices and registration forms for no longer than 6 years after the taxation year.